Contest-Winning Cajun Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each white, black and cayenne pepper
- 4 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice, seasonings and hot sauce.
- Spread into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with the cabbage and cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 235 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 8, 2018
This was definitely delicious. Next time I’m going to mix the cabbage in with the hamburger mixture. It looked boring when it came out of the oven.
Apr 5, 2018
I had 3 heads of cabbage in my fridge and needed to cook one, but I thought Cajun cabbage? Really??? UM YES, REALLY. I made a vegetarian version with crumbled tempeh and a can of black beans and I will make this a hundred times more! It's surprisingly good and it great for leftovers, too!
Feb 16, 2018
I have made this many times. We love it.
Jan 6, 2018
Awesome! I always get compliments when I make this!
Jul 14, 2017
seems very similar to my Carpathian cabbage which we adore. I buy leaner hamburger so it doesn't get drained off adds to the flavor (and probably waistline)
Apr 14, 2017
I made this two days ago and am making it again tonight for the family. It disappeared quickly at the potluck and several people had seconds. Many were disappointed that it was gone when they returned. Several asked for the recipe for their next potluck. Super simple to make. Had to cook it longer for the rice to be fully cooked. I didn't add extra water. I didn't have white pepper immediately available so I used Moroccan spice which has white pepper in it. Very yummy. A keeper recipe. Thank you!
Mar 29, 2017
Nice flavor in the meat. I liked the spices. But my family is not a huge fan of cabbage. I thought this would help with cabbage but they still did not care for it. If you like cabbage then this would be a great recipe!!
Mar 22, 2017
I made this last night and it was delicious !!! My grandson stopped by and I sent some home with him . He just texted to tell me how tasty it was and wants to know when I will be fixing it again !!! This is a keeper !
Feb 26, 2017
Delicious. I didn't have white pepper so I added extra black pepper. I also added 1 cup of water with the tomato sauce as other reviewers did. Turned out great.
Feb 21, 2017
This was a really easy recipe that tasted great. The only thing I did differently was used quinoa instead of rice.