Contest-Winning Peanut Mallow Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- PEANUT TOPPING:
- 1 package (10 ounces) peanut butter chips
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, water, butter and egg until blended (batter will be thick). Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with marshmallows. Bake 2 minutes longer or until marshmallows are melted. Place on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine the peanut butter chips, corn syrup and butter; cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in the cereal, peanuts and vanilla. Spread over marshmallows. Cool completely.
Aug 26, 2014
Love these bars! Entered them in the fair but judge evidently didn't like them. No win.
Jan 24, 2012
These bars have a great unique taste. My family loved them and I loved the gooey marshmallow middle. I have to agree with one of the other reviews about the taste being a bit bland. Maybe I will make them with butterscotch chips next time for a more carmel-ly taste. They're interesting enough that I will try these again.
Jul 28, 2011
I liked the texture of this cookie, but my husband and I thought the taste was okay but not great. I've had other imitation Payday bars that had much more caramel flavor. These were just a bit bland.
Jul 29, 2010
This recipe could be great, but my first batch didn't turn out well. Don't bake the cake bottom too long. Mine ended up burning and I only had it in the oven for 20 min. Also don't use too many marshmallows, bars end up too gooey. Maybe add a little chocolate butter drizzle on top. Will make again, but more carefully next time
May 24, 2010
I too have been making this bar for years. I only make it when I can take it with me to share because it is too dangerous for me to have in the house. :-) And...each and every time, I am asked for there cipe.
May 24, 2010
Different but really good. Very interesting texture: crunchy and soft at the same time.
Feb 5, 2010
My family absolutely loved these bars. They were easy and different. Highly recommend.
May 20, 2009
I've also made these bars many times and they are not only easy to make, but such a hit whereever you take them. I always make sure this bar is on my cookie trays I give at Christmas!
Dec 28, 2008
Someone at work brought a similar dessert to work, I searched my books and found this recipe. I made it for family and friends at Christmas and it was a HUGE hit. I made sooooo many batches of this stuff in the last few weeks. I could do the recipe in my head now.It is even popular with people that don't like marshmallows! Yummy, thank you!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.