- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped salted roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cumin and coriander
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, combine the first 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine almonds, mint, onion, lemon juice, garlic and spices. Crumble beef over mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly. Divide into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a 3x1-in. rectangle; insert a soaked wooden appetizer skewer into each piece.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat 2-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Arrange on a serving platter. Drizzle with sauce mixture and sprinkle with parsley.
1 appetizer with 1 teaspoon sauce: 74 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.