Braised Pork Stew
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces assorted frozen vegetables
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper; add 3 tablespoons flour and toss to coat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown pork. Drain if necessary. Stir in vegetables, broth, garlic, mustard and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until pork and vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining flour and water until smooth; stir into stew. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2019
This is a family favorite. As we like a lot of herbs and spices, I add extra garlic, marjoram, bay leaf, and a bit of sage. I also usually use fresh cubed stew veggies instead of frozen, out of personal preference. It is especially nice during a cold evening. Thank you for this wonderful recipe!
Oct 13, 2018
I made this for last night's dinner. Based on two other reviews, I did tweak the recipe by adding an undiluted can of cream of mushroom soup, some salt and some garlic powder. I also prepared this in a crockpot on low for 5 hours. Dredged the meat in flour and browned as directed, then placed it in the bottom of a crockpot. Mixed seasonings, can of soup, and broth in a bowl and pored it over the pork. Cooked as stated. One hour before done, I added frozen vegetables and mixed them through. Very good!
Apr 9, 2016
I agree with the previous person that it was very bland even after I added more seasoning. Pork was tender but there was something missing. I will not make this dish again either.
Feb 16, 2014
We found this to be very bland. The pork was tender but because we did not like the flavor, I will not make it again.