Green Chili Pork Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 pounds lean boneless pork, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cornbread or warmed flour tortillas, optional
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown pork in oil. Add 3-1/2 cups broth, corn, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, chilies, cumin, oregano and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and remaining broth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve with cornbread or tortillas if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 306 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
May 13, 2013
I liked this stew but next time I wouldn't use the third can of corn. There was more corn than anything else! I also added an onion and a clove of garlic for some added flavor.
Oct 13, 2012
WARNING - modified slightly review. Used canned tomato with green chilies and Mexicorn. Threw in some cooked diced bacon. Slightly punched up result, good go to stew.
Sep 15, 2011
My family loved this recipe, I did just a few things different...I didn't use the corn (eat that the night before) but carrots, and no celery (didn't have any)....But we would loved it and would make it again