Makeover Traditional Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 70 min. + standing
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 package (14 ounces) breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed and crumbled
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, Parmesan and parsley. Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, half of the cheese mixture, 1-1/3 cups sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until bubbly. Top with provolone and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with additional parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 361 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2014
Very good recipe - delicious
Mar 27, 2013
Feb 8, 2012
To make it gluten free I just used the rice lasagna noodles. Tasted great!
Jan 22, 2012
Absolutely Amazing! I like it more than traditional lasagna!