Total TimePrep: 30 min. + simmering Bake: 70 min. + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add next seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add parsley; stir in cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 1 cup meat sauce in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover; bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 20 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 503 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1208mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
May 24, 2018
I have made this recipe since it appeared 18 years ago, it is absolutely the best. No matter what the negative reviews say, just try it and make it EXACTLY as it is written. I was skeptical but after making it ..the family loved it hands down and i'm a particular cook. Make it and try it...you're family will love it!
Mar 31, 2018
This just confirms that Taste of Home is a generic cook's recipe guide. I grew up with authentic, Ellis Island, Italian grandmothers homemade pasta. Cottage cheese???? How does this even make the list of good Italian food recipes. And where is the mozzarella, fresh basil, and parmesan reggiano?? When I see recipes on-line and the posting is from Taste of Home, I approach with apprehension. These are mediocre, "housewife" recipes. Go to Food Network instead and try Mario or Giada. Real chefs.
Mar 29, 2018
Absolutely the best lasagne I have ever eaten. Hands down, will never make another recipe....truly fantastic!
Mar 29, 2018
Awesome base recipe. I didn't have provolone so just used extra mozzarella, will try provolone next time. I also added mushrooms and an onion. This was so yummy.
Mar 1, 2018
I have always par boiled my Lasagna Noodles and your recipe doesn't require that step. Will the 50 min cooking then 20 min additional uncovered accomplish that. I live in a very small town in NE Arkansas and our 1 grocery store doesn't carry ricotta, so may I add more cottage cheese, and would I still use egg then. I was plan on making for dinner tonight. Thank you for sharing your recipe looks delicious.
Feb 7, 2018
This is the best lasagna ever. I don't use pork sausage, I just add a few fennel seeds to my sauce to give a little sausage flavor.
Feb 5, 2018
Jan 27, 2018
Best I have ever, ever had !!! Soooooo good.
Dec 25, 2017
Took a HUGE chance and made this for the first time for our Christmas dinner and it was wonderful!!! It looked intimidating with such a long list of ingredients but it went seamlessly. I was also afraid it had too much cheese in it but I couldn't (and wouldn't) change a thing. A keeper for sure!!
Dec 5, 2017
I was using a different lasagna recipe on this site, but having tried this one, there's no going back. I made it exactly as stated, but I used mild Italian sausages (out of their casings) and a full package of SMOKED provolone. This was one decadent, cheesy, saucy, meaty lasagna, and I have had nothing but rave reviews from friends and family, and requests to please make this again. Best ever.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.