Spicy Breakfast Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3 cups Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 18 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces sliced Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces sliced Muenster cheese
- Combine cottage cheese, chives and onions; set aside. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper until blended. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 2 cups hash browns, scrambled eggs, sausage and half of cottage cheese mixture. Cover with Monterey Jack cheese. Top with remaining lasagna noodles, hash browns and cottage cheese mixture. Cover with Muenster cheese. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove dish from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 366 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 256mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Sep 12, 2013
This was a great recipe to prepare the night before, refrigerate and cook the next morning. A little bit of time involved in prep but the end result was delicious. Thawed and drained chopped spinach and browned the hash browns (set aside to cool) before adding them to the dish. My 5 year old and 16 year old picky eater have asked me to make this again.
Jun 9, 2011
I've made this a number of times and it always goes over well. Just a couple tips. Use a deep 9x13 such as pampered chef's, and cook it for 1 hr. and 15 min.
Mar 24, 2010
I make this lasagna every year for Easter breakfast at church because it is a crowd favorite. I haven't heard a single complaint that it's too spicy.