- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1-1/4 pounds Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 3 tablespoons parsley, basil, fennel, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix egg, ricotta cheese, and remaining parsley and salt.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Spread 2 cups meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce and cheeses (dish will be full).
- 5. Bake, covered, 25 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
1 piece: 519 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 1013mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Nov 27, 2018I am an English chef with 30 years experience and this is the best lasagna i've ever tasted,followed the menu to the letter,my only comment would be that the cost of the ingredients is very high,but we pay a premium for cheeses here in Thailand.but after saying that i think the cost is worth it
Nov 25, 2018I made a few adjustments, I used Italian seasoning, instead of using the spices in the recipe. Only did I use crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, I also used diced tomatoes, I also used a purple onion, and added a red pepper in the sauce. Otherwise I followed the recipe. It turned out Very Delicious!!! Will definitely make it again.
Nov 3, 2018Excellent!
Oct 2, 2018A classic, strong lasagna. I made as written, no adjustments, and it came out wonderful!
Sep 26, 2018I cooked it into an english oven instead of dutch, did not taste right.
Jun 12, 2018
Whoever submitted this recipe deserves high honors and awards galore!! The sauce is what makes or breaks the flavor of a pasta dish. This meat sauce is the best that I have ever eaten, never the less fixed myself, and the absolute first recipe I ever wanted to rate. The only adjustment I made was I used a 25oz can of diced tomatoes that already had garlic, basil and oregano in it. It was the only large can of tomatoes I had in the pantry and I didn’t want to make a trip back to the store. I still used the seasonings and amount listed for the recipe and I had the reg diced tomatoes in the 15oz can. I don’t know how much of a difference it actually made, but the meat sauce itself was excellent. I read all the reviews before I cooked this and I absolutely have to agree with the reviewer who stressed to make sure you simmer the sauce for the full 30 minutes. Not only are the seasonings blending but it also helps the sauce to thicken. I’m one who really doesn’t like sugar in pasta sauce, but stick to this recipe! I used a little over 2 tablespoons and it didn’t make the sauce taste sweet. If anything it balanced the overall flavor. For this to be the Best Lasagna that you will ever make - stick to the recipe! No extra salt needed!! At least for the first time you try this recipe - don’t change a thing if you don’t have to. Follow the directions exactly. Then the next time if you honestly feel you need to change something - do it then. I just doubt you’ll change anything - it’s that spectacular!!! Thanks for this recipe!!!!!
Apr 29, 2018
I used all ingredients except for the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and water. I decided to use a jar of Newman's Own Italian Sausage & Peppers pasta sauce Instead. I used a 9x9 baking dish, which was just enough for myself and my husband. 1lb of ground beef and 1lb of mild Italian sausage was a perfect balance. This Was definitely MY BEST LASAGNA!!! 5 stars for me ??
Apr 23, 2018
Family loves it
Apr 18, 2018
This is really a great basic lasagna recipe. I gave it a 4 because I made a few small adjustments that I think enhanced the dish. First, more salt. I find most online recipes to be under seasoned. I typically cook my noodles in heavily salted water but I used "oven ready" noodles so I needed extra salt. Also, homemade tomato sauces always need extra salt. Also, I threw in a small pinch of red pepper flakes. I dislike spicy sensation but I find red pepper flakes just kicks up the flavor a notch. I LOVED how this this lasagna was, how it held up when cut and serves, and how thick and meaty everything was. LOVE the amount of cheese! We fed 4 adults and 5 kids with 3 large leftover portions with this!
Apr 17, 2018
its taste like poo