Total TimePrep: 3-1/2 hours Bake: 65 min. + standing
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups Daisy 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer a third of the noodles and meat sauce, half of the cottage cheese, a third of the mozzarella and a third of the Parmesan. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 335 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Sep 20, 2016
I'm a volunteer Field Editor. This is my go-to lasagna recipe. It bakes up really well and the sauce is great. It cuts well and isn't all soupy like I find some recipes to be. The slices hold their shape.
Aug 10, 2016
It's been a while since I've made this recipe but I LOVE it and am going to give it a whirl... again....finally... next week. I'll never try another lasagna recipe!! Thanks Gina!
Apr 29, 2015
This is very good, but I add a cup of canned diced Italian seasoned tomatoes instead of salsa and omit the chili powder.
Jan 18, 2015
Love this for a homemade sauce. Sometimes I make lasagna but often use it for other things. It is a family favorite!
Jan 17, 2015
Very good, but I omitted the salsa.
Apr 1, 2014
Did not care for this recipe. Family asked me not to make it again.
Jan 20, 2014
I love this lasagna. I make it all the time for family dinners and everyone raves about it. The only thing I do different is I cook the sauce in the slowcooker on high for 3 hours. I like to be able to leave the house while it's cooking.
Apr 3, 2013
This recipe was okay. It tasted like a chili lasagna.
Apr 3, 2013
This recipe was ok. It tasted like a chili lasagna.
Mar 10, 2013