Total TimePrep: 3-1/2 hours Bake: 65 min. + standing
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 carton (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer a third of the noodles and meat sauce, half of the cottage cheese, a third of the mozzarella and a third of the Parmesan. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 335 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 20, 2016
I'm a volunteer Field Editor. This is my go-to lasagna recipe. It bakes up really well and the sauce is great. It cuts well and isn't all soupy like I find some recipes to be. The slices hold their shape.
Aug 10, 2016
It's been a while since I've made this recipe but I LOVE it and am going to give it a whirl... again....finally... next week. I'll never try another lasagna recipe!! Thanks Gina!
Apr 29, 2015
This is very good, but I add a cup of canned diced Italian seasoned tomatoes instead of salsa and omit the chili powder.
Jan 18, 2015
Love this for a homemade sauce. Sometimes I make lasagna but often use it for other things. It is a family favorite!
Jan 17, 2015
Very good, but I omitted the salsa.
Apr 1, 2014
Did not care for this recipe. Family asked me not to make it again.
Jan 20, 2014
I love this lasagna. I make it all the time for family dinners and everyone raves about it. The only thing I do different is I cook the sauce in the slowcooker on high for 3 hours. I like to be able to leave the house while it's cooking.
Apr 3, 2013
This recipe was okay. It tasted like a chili lasagna.
Apr 3, 2013
This recipe was ok. It tasted like a chili lasagna.
Mar 10, 2013