The Best Ever Lasagna
My brother, Joe, created this lasagna based on our mom’s recipe. It’s a family favorite at Christmas, thanks to the special ingredients that make it magnifico.—Stephanie Marchese, Taste of Home Visual Production Director
Total TimePrep: 2-3/4 hours Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (28 ounces each ) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 4 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 carton (16 ounces) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 8 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 12 sheets no-cook lasagna noodles
- 21 slices provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender, 4-5 minutes; add garlic, cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, water, fresh basil, 2 teaspoons sugar and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain. Add to sauce; simmer until mixture is thickened, about 1 hour.
- While sauce simmers, preheat oven to 350°. Place sausage links on a rimmed baking sheet; roast until cooked through, 35-40 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly; slice into 1/4-in.-thick pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, egg, dried basil and remaining sugar.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, spread 2 cups sauce. Arrange four noodles over sauce; spread with a third of the ricotta mixture. Add seven provolone slices, a third of the sausage links and 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers two more times, using only 1 cup sauce per layer. Spread with 2 cups sauce (reserve remaining sauce for serving on the side), remaining 2-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese (dish will be full).
- Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, uncovered, until bubbly and deep golden brown, 60-65 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining meat sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 509 calories, 33g fat (15g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 1185mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as The Best Ever Lasagna in Taste of Home December 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.