Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, optional
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Polish Kielbasa Sausage Rope, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, bouillon, onion salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and white pepper if desired until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add sausage; heat through. Combine the eggs, cottage cheese and remaining pepper.
- Spread 1 cup sausage mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, a third of the sausage mixture, half of the cottage cheese mixture and sauerkraut and 3/4 cup Monterey Jack. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining noodles and sausage mixture (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 466 calories, 31g fat (16g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 1641mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Mar 13, 2018
I followed the recipe exactly the first time .... we ate it but thought it was bland. So the next time I substituted bratwurst for the polish sausage, extra sharp white cheddar for the monterey jack, eliminated the cottage cheese and used mashed potatoes, and didn't rinse my sauerkraut ( just squeeze it). It is now 5 star and has been added to our rotation. Thanks for sharing!!
Jul 2, 2017
This lasagna turned out wonderful woth a pleasing taste! We will fix this again and again!!! Yum! Yum!
Apr 28, 2016
When mine came out of the oven and I served it, it was runny, like the other reviewer mentioned. It looked disgusting and was just a big mess. After some searching, it looks like I was supposed to wait for the lasagna to "set" after taking it out of the oven. When I went back to the pan, it looked more like it was supposed to. I think it would have been more appetizing that way.I cut the recipe in half and made just a few small changes. I used 1% small curd cottage cheese, but doubt that caused any problems. In fact, there really wasn't a whole lot of cottage cheese mixture to "spread". I think it still tasted good though. I also used no-boil lasagna noodles. If anything, they should have helped the dish firm up (not be as runny). Lastly, I used mild white cheddar cheese because my grocery store didn't have Monterey Jack. When I was doing the layers, I just put as much cheese and sauerkraut as I wanted on, without measuring. I think I wound up putting just a bit too much sauerkraut, but again, that was my fault.Overall, the taste was good! I love dishes with sauerkraut, and this one really had a lot of that taste. Like the other reviewer, I NEVER rinse my sauerkraut, just drain it. Rinsing gets rid of all the flavor! Next time I think I'll consider making it into an even smaller portion because there are a LOT of leftovers for just my husband and I.
Apr 4, 2015
Not pleased with the results. Needed more kielbasa and sauerkraut. It was also very soupy.
Jun 10, 2014
Everyone I've ever served this to loves it! I add a layer of mashed potatoes, and I use bratwurst as my sausage. Delish!
Apr 5, 2014
I made this today. Delicious, but I think the butter could be cut down by some cutting some calories. Otherwise very good. Next time I will try to revamp the recipe alittle......
Aug 14, 2012
I have been making this recipe since it was a contest winner in the late 90's or early 2000. Can't remember when, but my kids and husband love it and I make it often as requested for birthday dinners and I may make it for Christmas this year! And it does freeze well if you want to make an extra one to keep on hand, but it never lasts long around our house!
Jul 15, 2012
MY PICKY HUSBAND RATED THIS "FAIR", MY MOTHER-IN-LAW RATED IT "POOR", AND I THOUGHT IT WAS "AVERAGE". WON'T BE MAKING IT AGAIN. WE LOVE KRAUT TOO.
Feb 2, 2012
yes i was skeptical too but if you want a change up to ordinary dinners go for this recipe
Nov 14, 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.