Makeover Meatless Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 10 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook noodles according to package directions for al dente. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook mushrooms and onion over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; cook and stir until heated through.
- Pulse tofu in a food processor until smooth. Add next five ingredients; pulse until combined. Drain noodles.
- Place five noodles into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, overlapping as needed. Layer with half the tofu mixture, half the sauce and half the mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles, tofu mixture and sauce.
- Bake, covered, 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 258 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1-1/2 starch.
May 18, 2018
It is a nice recipe to start from. The lack of spices makes it very bland and lacking of Italian flavor. I made my own sauce and added 2 tsp Italian seasoning and a 1/2 tsp basil plus 1/2 tsp red pepper flake added additional garlic and some oregano. I did not use the 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves. I am guessing they are referring to fresh Italian parsley witch can ruin a recipe if you use too much just like tarragon can. That is just my opinion.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.