Italian Meatball Seasoning
Kathy Nieratko serves these meatballs with spaghetti sauce over pasta or in Italian rolls. "I also use the seasoning mix for meat loaf and veal Parmesan," she writes from Fair Haven, Vermont.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 8 slices day-old white bread, cut into thirds
- 8 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch of meatballs):
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 200° for 20 minutes. Turn; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until dried. Place bread in a blender or food processor; cover and process until crumbly. Add seasonings. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 2 batches (about 2 cups total).
- To prepare meatballs: In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 77 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Italian Meatball Seasoning in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Apr 16, 2015
it dose not have the degree's or how long to cook it
Jan 22, 2011
thank you for this recipe. I have been looking for a good recipe like this for a while. It is very good.