Pronto Vegetarian Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 1 cup canned stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place peppers in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the tomatoes, rice and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the beans, corn, onions and pepper flakes; spoon into peppers.
- Sprinkle with cheeses. Microwave, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed pepper halves: 341 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 556mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 11g fiber), 19g protein.
Nov 4, 2016
I thought these were okay but not great. I guess for me I really missed the meat; some sausage or ground beef would have been good.
Jul 23, 2014
Good idea - hubby loves stuffed peppers...thanks Renee!
Jan 5, 2013
Made these the other night & loved them. Work great as leftovers if you make extras. We had small peppers so we used 4 small peppers, a 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes & increased the rice to 1/2 cup. Also finished the peppers off in the oven. Excellent
Nov 19, 2012
I made them in the oven instead of the microwave and they were still delicious. I baked at 400 for 30 minutes. Fantastic recipe!!
Feb 27, 2012
Looks fantastic! Anyone have any advice on how to make it in the oven instead of microwave?
Feb 22, 2012
I have made this many times. My husband insists on meat with his meals and so I slice a cooked chicken/apple sausage link into rounds and tuck them into the filled peppers. Totally delicious!
Jun 8, 2011
Unless you are needing to count grams of carb for a meal serve this with a side of pasta if you wish.I would probably favor some fruit plus salad to serve with it.Yes, the combo of beans and corn provide a complete protein for your digestive system.
Jun 7, 2011
Yes would make again. Husband is meat eater so he had a couple of chicken sausages too. Had small salad of fresh tomatoes cucumber, onions and bell peppers marinated in raseberry vinaigrette.
Jun 7, 2011
Plan on trying this tonight since the heat index here is over 100 degrees and this is a totally microwave dish. I don't have any stewed tomatoes on hand so I'll just use some flavored canned ones. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with serving this with pasta and understand some people may have a problem with it. Just rate the recipe on its own merit and serve it however you like.
Jun 7, 2011
people who are non-vegans may not know that the combo of beans and rice yields a complete protein equal to meat. Sometimes just knowing this adds to satisfaction with the food.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.