Feast your eyes on this two-toned pumpernickel dressing. It's my vegetarian version of the classic Thanksgiving staple. —Thomas Roeger, Bloomington, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread, cubed (about 6 cups)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, cubed (about 6 cups)
- 6 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Place bread cubes in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, stirring twice. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook celery and onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in the cranberries, salt, rosemary, thyme, sage, poultry seasoning and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes and celery mixture. Add broth and combine.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.