Vegetarian Pasta Sauce
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, eggplant and mushrooms; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until sauce is thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 131 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 705mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 27, 2018
Even my meat-loving husband loves this vegetarian dish and requests it often. And not having to buy meat for this saves a little on my grocery bill, always a good thing. To better suit our taste, I omit the eggplant and ripe olives and only use the canned tomatoes instead of the fresh. Prepping the vegetables the night before, this works great made in my slow cooker. Add everything to the cooker the next morning, give it a good stir and go! Then all you have to do is cook some pasta and dinner is ready at the end of a busy day.
Sep 11, 2016
With fresh veggies in season this is really fun to make and very tasty - very good and makes a lot too
Jun 28, 2010
Great way to get your servings of Vegetables! Great flavor.