Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups chopped yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare corn bread according to package directions. Cool and crumble into a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add squash; cook, covered, for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter. Add the onion, celery and green pepper; saute until tender.
- Add vegetable mixture and squash to the corn bread. In a small bowl, combine the soup, milk, salt and pepper; add to corn bread and stir until blended. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 311 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 930mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 28, 2016
My family loves this dish! So, now, we have it for a lot of family gatherings; not just for Thanksgiving. It also freezes very well (for at least a month), so that helps those of us whose energy level is limited! I also leave out the green pepper.Thanks for sharing! usedtateach
Jan 4, 2016
I prepared this recipe back in the fall of 2015! I found it really savory and delicious! I admit that I had made adjustments to the recipe when I prepared it and I used 1 greased and floured 12x6" loaf pan to bake the dressing. I'm glad that I had the chance to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing it with Taste of Home!
Dec 14, 2014
Very tasty! I am not usually a squash eater but love it in squash dressing!
Nov 18, 2014
I plan to make this for one of my Thanksgiving dishes, has anyone prepared it in advance?
Dec 18, 2013
I normally do not eat dressing but this is delicious! Everyone always requests the recipe, I omit the green pepper.
Oct 28, 2011
This dressing was so moist and really delicious! Will definitely make again!
Nov 19, 2010
This is an awesome dressing! I made it for the first time for a Thanksgiving potluck at work. Will definitely make this again for the family!
Nov 10, 2010
I'm looking forward to trying this recipe - suggestion for the vegetarian - try cream of celery soup...
Nov 10, 2010
Would really love to try this recipe. I am a vegetarian does anyone have any suggestions for replacement of the cream of chicken soup ?
Nov 19, 2009
This is so good that family eats it and not cornbread dressing... I have given this recipe out a thousand times...WE do not put in the celery or green peppers