Warm Squash & Quinoa Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toasted pine nuts, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine quinoa, cumin and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 10-13 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in squash and seasonings; cook, covered, until tender, 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to quinoa, stirring gently to combine. Top with cheese and, if desired, pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 314 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2018
It seems like everyone I know has been getting on the quinoa train lately. I had never made it before and when I needed to, of course I turned to Taste of Home! Since I love both squash and feta, this recipe was the perfect match. I was surprised how easy this was, and how perfectly the feta complimented the dish. Not sure why I was expecting it to be hard to make (maybe it's the name!) - but this was easy. DEFINITELY be careful about browning the butter though - if you're not stirring constantly like it says, it'd be VERY easy to burn the butter - and that's just the worst smell / such a pain to clean up. So just pay extra close attention there - don't get distracted!This recipe will definitely be a staple going forward in our dinner side dish lineup. And from now on: I won't have to be intimidated by quinoa anymore!
Nov 21, 2017
Loved this. I made an entire butternut squash. The feta added the perfect taste.