Warm Squash & Quinoa Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toasted pine nuts, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine quinoa, cumin and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 10-13 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat until golden brown, 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in squash and seasonings; cook, covered, until tender, 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to quinoa, stirring gently to combine. Top with cheese and, if desired, pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 314 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 11, 2018
It seems like everyone I know has been getting on the quinoa train lately. I had never made it before and when I needed to, of course I turned to Taste of Home! Since I love both squash and feta, this recipe was the perfect match. I was surprised how easy this was, and how perfectly the feta complimented the dish. Not sure why I was expecting it to be hard to make (maybe it's the name!) - but this was easy. DEFINITELY be careful about browning the butter though - if you're not stirring constantly like it says, it'd be VERY easy to burn the butter - and that's just the worst smell / such a pain to clean up. So just pay extra close attention there - don't get distracted!This recipe will definitely be a staple going forward in our dinner side dish lineup. And from now on: I won't have to be intimidated by quinoa anymore!
Nov 21, 2017
Loved this. I made an entire butternut squash. The feta added the perfect taste.