Healthy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 large green peppers
- 2 cups frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Discard stems. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat crumbles, rice, onion, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteVegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 364 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Jun 1, 2010
Morningstar makes vegetarian "meat" crumbles. You can find them in the frozen food aisles. I use them to make vegetarian tacos.
May 31, 2010
What in the world are "vegetarian meat crumbles"?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.