Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms
Mixed with a blend of parsley, basil, oregano and bread crumbs, soy crumbles make a delightful addition to these savory stuffed mushrooms. Arline Aaron of Brooklyn, New York shares the recipe.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 14 large fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetarian meat crumbles, thawed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Remove stems from mushrooms and chop; set mushroom caps aside. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute stems and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the bread crumbs, meat crumbles and seasonings; cook until bread crumbs are lightly browned. Cool slightly.
- Stuff into mushroom caps. Place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and mushrooms are tender. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteVegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 34 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms in Light & Tasty October/November 2007