Zippy Vegetarian Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, undrained
- 2 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 210 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
May 16, 2020
This will definitely be on my Saturday Soup rotation. I made this in my IP. Sauted the onion first, then added everything else. Pushed the soup button for 0 minutes. Made it early and just let it be on the warm setting for 2 hours. Flavors melded. Great soup.
Dec 2, 2013
Love it, It's not often I can find good vegetarian recipes, but this one is great! Thanks so much.
Dec 25, 2011
The onions could use sauteeing, they were crunchy. I substituted navy beans for the pintos, left out the zucchini and used veg. broth instead of water. I also used Carroll Shelby's chili mix. Ahh - also added garlic powder for more flavor.