Zippy Three-Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms and peppers; cook and stir 3 minutes longer or until vegetables are almost tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomatoes and taco seasoning.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Add beans; simmer 30 minutes longer. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 269 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 28, 2014
This recipe is a staple at my house because it's healthy, easy to prepare and freezes well.
May 15, 2012
I thought this was very good chili! I loved all the different kinds of beans in it. I stirred just a spoonful of fat-free sour cream into my serving before sprinkling it with the cheese. It was delicious! The only thing I would change next time is that I would add the beans at the beginning of the simmering rather than halfway through. I felt they needed to be more tender...they needed to be cooked longer than just 30 minutes. I think the full hour probably would have done the trick. I might also put a lid on it to help steam the beans into softness, as well. But it was great! I would definitely make it again.
Feb 10, 2012
A nice mild flavored chili. This was very easy to make and I liked all the additions of the mushrooms and peppers in it. This chili is also very thick, which I like. Would definately make again, maybe with some more taco seasoning than suggested in the recipe.