You won't miss meat in this tasty bean chili.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Add the tomatoes, beans, beer, chili powder and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Serve with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 373 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 992mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 14g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Bean Chili in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005