Anytime Turkey Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper, oregano and cumin in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the beans, pumpkin, tomatoes, broth, water, brown sugar, chili powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add turkey; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 241 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 10g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Nov 10, 2016
This recipe is a good idea, but too bland, too tasteless. I suggest you increase the spices and consider adding tomatoes with jalapenos.
Jan 22, 2015
Both of my kids loved this chili. DH said it was a little bland, and I kind of agreed with him. I will make it again, but I will triple the spices next time. Our family loves bold flavors. It is a little thicker than regular chili, but an excellent way to use up left over turkey.
Aug 13, 2013
Wonderful flavors! Ou new favorite chili!
Aug 13, 2013
Wonderful flavors! Our new favorite chili!
Nov 1, 2011
I was very hesitant to add the pumpkin but this was just the missing ingredient in ALL chilis! Fantastic! Just make sure you don't use the canned pumpkin pie. Use the pure pumpkin. I used 2 lbs ground turkey because that is what I had in the freezer. Just amazing! Thank you!
Oct 16, 2011
Was very good... and not too difficult to toss together. I used ground turkey instead of cubed and added a little extra chili powder and an extra can of beans. Next time I think I will add in some corn (a suggestion from hubby). Will be making again!
Oct 2, 2011
I really wanted to like this, but we didn't.
Oct 11, 2010
Good Autumn recipe - used butternut squash in stead of pumpkin and it makes lots! Freezes well for quick meals on hand
Mar 21, 2010
This isn't my favorite chili recipe, but it was pretty good. DH and I liked it but the kids would not eat it.
Nov 28, 2009
We did not like this at all.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.