Tropical Squash and Black Bean Burritos
The pineapple salsa in these hearty burritos gives you a taste of the tropics on a chilly day. Stuffed with black beans, butternut squash and spinach, they're a nutritious, delicious and fun dinner for any night. —Deanna McDonald, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) pineapple salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Halve squash lengthwise; remove seeds. Place in a microwave-safe dish, cut side down. Microwave, covered, on high until soft, 15-20 minutes; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine salsa and beans; heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop out squash pulp; place in a bowl. Mash until smooth; stir in seasonings. Spoon squash and salsa mixtures onto center of tortillas; top with spinach and roll up.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 burrito: 290 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 692mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 15g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Tropical Butternut and Black Bean Burritos in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017