Black Bean Chicken Tacos
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped ripe olives, sour cream and additional salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in enough water for mixture to form a ball. Knead on a floured surface for 1 minute. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the chicken, salsa, beans, onion powder, chili powder and remaining cumin. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- For tortillas, divide dough into eight balls; roll each ball into an 8-in. circle. In an ungreased skillet, cook tortillas, one at a time, until lightly browned, about 30 seconds on each side.
- Layer between pieces of waxed paper or paper towel; keep warm. Spoon chicken mixture over half of each tortilla and fold over. Serve with lettuce, cheese, olives, sour cream and salsa if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 taco (calculated without optional toppings): 267 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 421mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Feb 28, 2018
I only made the filling and it was very good, but extremely saucy. I think half the salsa could be used.
Nov 5, 2013
The filling turned out too runny to put in a tortilla, so I served it in bowls. Definitely need to add a dash of salt to the tortilla dough.
May 30, 2013
Very good. When I am in a hurry I use store bought whole grain tortillas.
Jan 18, 2010
This is the best tortilla recipe that I've ever made. I use them for everything not just this recipe. I'd have to make the chicken and black bean filling at least another time to see if it deserves as many stars. :)
Mar 29, 2009
What a fun new twist on tacos. Even my picky eaters loved them. Thank you.
Aug 4, 2008