Colorado Lamb Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes and corn chips, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown lamb in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, oregano, chili powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and fennel. Return lamb to the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until lamb is tender. Garnish each serving with green onions, tomatoes and corn chips if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 325 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Sep 19, 2017
I was hoping to taste more of the lamb since it is an expensive cut of meat. Unfortunately, it just tasted like any other chili I have made.
Feb 2, 2012
I had cooked a lamb roast the previous night so I didn't use raw lamb as called out in the recipe. Rather I started with the second bullet point in the directions and added the already cooked lamb when indicated in the recipe. Instead of simmering as directed I probably only simmered it 30 minutes to warm the ingredients and mesh some flavors. It turned out very tasty. I liked the green onions and fresh tomatoes stirred in. We also stirred in some shredded cheese. Was very wholesome tasting and I'd make it again.