Colorado Lamb Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (30 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes and corn chips, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown lamb in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, oregano, chili powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cumin and fennel. Return lamb to the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until lamb is tender. Garnish each serving with green onions, tomatoes and corn chips if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 325 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 646mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Sep 19, 2017
I was hoping to taste more of the lamb since it is an expensive cut of meat. Unfortunately, it just tasted like any other chili I have made.
Feb 2, 2012
I had cooked a lamb roast the previous night so I didn't use raw lamb as called out in the recipe. Rather I started with the second bullet point in the directions and added the already cooked lamb when indicated in the recipe. Instead of simmering as directed I probably only simmered it 30 minutes to warm the ingredients and mesh some flavors. It turned out very tasty. I liked the green onions and fresh tomatoes stirred in. We also stirred in some shredded cheese. Was very wholesome tasting and I'd make it again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.