Chili with Barley
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and chili seasoning; heat through.
Nov 27, 2012
We really liked this. I did make a few changes. Used beef broth rather than water, added chili powder rather than the chili seasoning, salt & pepper and 1/2 cup medium salsa. I also cooked it a bit longer so the barley was tender.
Oct 14, 2011
i made this with some changes. i cooked the barley separately, then mixed together with other ingredients. i had fresh tomatoes to use up so i peeled & diced those and added 12oz tomato sauce instead of paste. used a tbsp chili powder instead of an envelope of chili seasoning. when it was done, i thought it lacked something so i added s&p to taste plus several drops of hot sauce. enjoyed it.
Sep 20, 2011
I loved this it was my first time making chili, I didn't add the barley because I couldn't find it in the store but it still taste delicious