Barley Corn Salad
A great alternative to pasta salads, this colorful side dish adds refreshing herb flavor to corn, barley, and red and green peppers. Bring it to your next get-together and see how fast it disappears! —Mary Ann Kieffer of Lawrence, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cooked medium pearl barley
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, oil, salt, thyme and pepper; shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Freeze option: Prepare salad without onions and cilantro. Transfer to freezer containers; freeze. To use, thaw completely in refrigerator. Gently stir in onions, cilantro and a little oil if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 156 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
May 16, 2012
I misread the recipe and did 2 cups barley, cooked instead of 2 cups cooked barley. Oops! Still incredibly delicious!
Jun 16, 2011
Nice, fresh, light taste! Great.
Oct 19, 2009
Delicious! I really enjoyed this salad.