- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar (15 ounces) cheese dip
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Combine carrots, celery and green onions in water; cook until tender. Set aside. Saute onion in butter until limp; stir in the flour and blend well. Do not brown. Combine milk and broth; bring to a boil. Whisk in onion mixture. Add cheese dip, cayenne, salt and pepper, and mustard. Slowly stir in vegetables and water they were cooked in. Bring just to a boil; serve immediately.
1 cup: 306 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1054mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.