Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar (15 ounces) process cheese sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Combine carrots, celery and green onion in water; cook until tender. Set aside. Saute onion in butter until limp; stir in the flour and blend well. Do not brown. Combine milk and broth; bring to boil. Whisk in onion/flour mixture. Add cheese sauce, cayenne, salt and pepper if desired, and mustard. Slowly stir in vegetables and water they were cooked in. Bring just to a boil; serve immediately. Add cayenne gradually to taste.
Nov 24, 2010
I don't know what went wrong with this recipe...I completely followed the directions and was left with a giant bowl of flavorless queso! A horrible waste of ingredients and time. My husband is on his way to get a pizza! :(
Jan 17, 2010
This is a great favorite in my family. I have added broccoli and that always goes over well, too.