Vegan Mac and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Rinse cashews in cold water. Place in a large bowl; add water to cover by 3 in. Cover and let stand overnight.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse cashews, discarding liquid. Transfer to a food processor. Add 1-1/2 cups water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and spices; cover and process until pureed, 3-4 minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
- Drain pasta; return to pan. Stir in cashew mixture. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with additional paprika, if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 497 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 803mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Sep 17, 2019
I used this recipe as a "base" to go from. I didn't soak the cashews overnight. I put them in a measuring cup and covered with hot water while I got the rest of the items going. Then, I drained them and used my nutribullet. I subbed out almond milk for the water and added half the amount for salt and onion powder, just so I could adjust at the end if needed. I also threw in a little extra nutritional yeast to pump the flavor. I did put more salt and minced onion (because I ran out of powder) in after tasting then blended a little more. I used gluten free pasta and added maybe a cup or so of peas to the pasta. My daughter who isn't a true vegetarian, but limits gluten and dairy, also added some cooked chicken. This recipe is well worth making. It's a keeper. We will make it again!