Vegan Mac and Cheese
The combination of soaked cashews and nutritional yeast creates a savory sauce for this vegan mac and cheese. The cashews don't blend up completely smooth, but will have a fine texture even after processing, which helps the sauce cling to the noodles. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Rinse cashews in cold water. Place in a large bowl; add water to cover by 3 in. Cover and let stand overnight.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse cashews, discarding liquid. Transfer to a food processor. Add 1-1/2 cups water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and spices; cover and process until pureed, 3-4 minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
- Drain pasta; return to pan. Stir in cashew mixture. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with additional paprika, if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 497 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 803mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Dairy Free Queso in Fast Track 2019