Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 package (7 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, pepper and, if desired, cinnamon; heat through.
- Drain macaroni; place half of macaroni in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Layer with meat mixture and remaining macaroni. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and remaining salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining cheese. Pour sauce over macaroni.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 614 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 1206mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein.
Jul 2, 2017
This dish reminded me of true comfort food at it's best!! We love it!!
Aug 10, 2016
Very good. My husband is Greek and he thought that this was a great pastitsio recipe. If you want authentic Greek pastitsio, you have to put in the cinnamon. It may sound strange but it's delicious.
Apr 16, 2016
I used ground chicken as my meat. I did the rest of the recipe as written and added the cinnamon. I added the macaroni to the meat mixture, then I put have the meat & mac mixture to dish, sprinkled 1/2 cup parmesan cheese over mixture, than added other half. Poured the b?chamel over and baked. It was delicious. My husband said it was a keeper.
Apr 12, 2015
Followed the recipe exactly. Did not add the cinnamon as it was optional.I used ground lamb when I realized it was a Greek dish. My husband said he couldn't taste the onions ( I used a large onion because thats all I had) so it should have been enough, also we couldn't taste the garlic or Oregano. My sauce was too thick but didn't know how thick it should have been. Maybe if the sauce was thinner allowing it to spread down into the dish before baking it would have tasted better, but who knows. It was edible but not memorable.
Jul 13, 2014
Good stuff! This is a yummy comfort food!
May 6, 2014
The whole family loved it! That is worth a 5 star review at our house!
Apr 16, 2014
I liked this meal, it was very satisfying.
Apr 14, 2014
My husband loved this dish, so i am giving it 5 stars!
Mar 2, 2013
Excellent recipe. I love this dish anyway and was looking for an easy recipe. This one fits the bill. Definitely a favorite. The only thing I did differently was used Kasseri, a Greek cheese, in place of the Parmesan because I had some on-hand.
Apr 18, 2012
I have made this several times. Total 5 star. I am now on the Maximized Living eating plan and I am going to make this and substitute zuchinni strips for the pasta.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.