- 1 package (7 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, pepper and, if desired, cinnamon; heat through.
- Drain macaroni; place half of macaroni in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Layer with meat mixture and remaining macaroni. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and remaining salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining cheese. Pour sauce over macaroni.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
1 each: 614 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 1206mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein.