Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over potato mixture and mix well. Add butter and toss to coat; set aside.
- For pastry, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms.
- Divide dough into five portions; roll each into a 10-in. circle. Place 1 cup of filling in the center of each circle. Fold pastry over filling and seal edges tightly with a fork; cut slits in the top of each.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 958 calories, 49g fat (14g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1026mg sodium, 101g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 4, 2014
Coming from the U.P. - Michigan's upper peninsula- I made pasties on a regular basis. They are a staple food,as they pack and travel well and are delicious cold also. You don't cook the veggies first or they turn to mush; traditional ones aren't mushy.Since miners cooked them on their shovels over fires at lunchtime, the crusts were usually not made in the same manner as piecrusts. The dough was a sturdier type made from pouring boiling water over lard and salt and adding flour. This recipe was very good, but won't carry with me on a picnic again.
Oct 9, 2014
Super good! My teenage boys gobbled it up. Probably will double it next time and save some. Extra easy for me is to use Pilsbury pastry dough in the roll, frozen pack of mixed vegetables. I used fresh potatoes. I didn't see where I was supposed to cook these vegies, potatoes and meat first. But I did. Then I put the filling in the pastry and baked for about ten minutes.