Chocolate Lover’s Strawberry Shortcakes
As a mom of four, I appreciate shortcut recipes. This one uses refrigerated biscuits, giving me time for special touches, like adding homemade whipped cream and hot fudge. —Melissa Haines, Valparaiso, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries or frozen sliced strawberries, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a shallow bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and cocoa until blended. Dip biscuits in cocoa mixture to coat; shake off excess.
- Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, toss strawberries with sugar. In another bowl, beat cream and cocoa until cream begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- To serve, split shortcakes in half. Fill with strawberries and half of the whipped cream. Serve with fudge topping and remaining whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without fudge topping): 332 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Shortcut Chocolate Lovers Strawberry Shortcake in Taste of Home April/May 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.