For a fun change-of-pace breakfast, try these sausage and hash brown frittatas perked up with salsa. To lower the dish’s cholesterol even more, use egg substitute instead of the whole eggs. —Kathy Brodin, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 Italian turkey sausage link (about 4 ounces), casing removed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup salsa
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Discard drippings.
- In the same pan, saute potatoes, onion and garlic in oil until potatoes are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add water, seasonings and sausage; cook and stir over medium heat until the water has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, flour and Parmesan cheese. Stir in sausage mixture. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Carefully run a knife around the edge of cups to loosen frittatas. Serve with salsa.