Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 pound ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning or oregano leaves
- 1 package (10 ounces) hearts of romaine salad mix
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, drained
- Toasted pita bread wedges
- In a large bowl, sprinkle cucumber with salt; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook lamb, onion and Greek seasoning until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Arrange salad mix on a large serving platter; top with tomatoes, cheese, olives and lamb. Spoon dressing over salad. Serve immediately with toasted pita wedges.
Jan 1, 2018
I only made the dressing, since we had gyros meat here, and wanted the cucumber sauce. This was perfect! Thanks!
Apr 19, 2012
I took this to a potluck and nothing was left. Thankfully I had more ingredients at home so I could make more. The dressing is good on any salad or even by itself.
Nov 2, 2010
I used beef, omitted the salt, and substituted black olives for Greek...still it turned out YUMMY!! The family LOVED it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.