Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 pound ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning or oregano leaves
- 1 package (10 ounces) hearts of romaine salad mix
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, drained
- Toasted pita bread wedges
- In a large bowl, sprinkle cucumber with salt; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook lamb, onion and Greek seasoning until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Arrange salad mix on a large serving platter; top with tomatoes, cheese, olives and lamb. Spoon dressing over salad. Serve immediately with toasted pita wedges.
Jan 1, 2018
I only made the dressing, since we had gyros meat here, and wanted the cucumber sauce. This was perfect! Thanks!
Apr 19, 2012
I took this to a potluck and nothing was left. Thankfully I had more ingredients at home so I could make more. The dressing is good on any salad or even by itself.
Nov 2, 2010
I used beef, omitted the salt, and substituted black olives for Greek...still it turned out YUMMY!! The family LOVED it!