Turkey Meatballs and Sauce
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) whole wheat spaghetti
- In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, bread crumbs, onion, pepper and seasoning blend. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; place on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomato sauce, tomatoes, zucchini, green pepper, onion, tomato paste, bay leaves, garlic and seasonings. Stir in meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; serve with meatballs and sauce.
Nutrition Facts4 meatballs with 3/4 cup sauce and 1 cup spaghetti: 416 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 10g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2015
Liked that there were all those veggies in the sauce.
Jan 8, 2013
Love it I wouldn't change a thing.
Oct 18, 2011
we loved the turkey meatballs, but the sauce lacked a deep tomato flavor, and was very veggie-ful and herby. which is good, but I added more tomatoes!
Sep 8, 2011
These are super yummy: a great way to get in lots of vegetables! I also added some celery . It tasted great! Next time I'll leave out the red pepper flakes, as we like our food very mild!
Aug 23, 2011
While I really liked the turkey meatballs, the sauce was not a hit at my house. I will continue to look for a good homemade sauce for the crock pot and will make these turkey meatballs again. Most turkey here is sold in 19 or 20 oz packages, not the 24 ounces called for in the recipe, so I had to make some adjustments in the other ingredients.
Jul 13, 2011
Jane, I am so happy for u winning this contest. U are an amazing cook and greatly deserve it. I will try these yummy looking meatballs real soon.
Jul 12, 2011
Great idea to use turkey to lighten up the recipe...yummy dish!!!