Meatball Submarine Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1-1/2 cups pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat broiler. Microwave meatballs, covered, on high until heated through, 4-6 minutes. Meanwhile, place bread on an ungreased baking sheet; brush one side of bread with oil. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Rub bread with cut surface of garlic; discard garlic. Tear bread into bite-sized pieces; transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Add pasta sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to meatballs; toss to combine. Pour mixture over bread pieces; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, until cheeses are melted, 15-18 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 417 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 1243mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 30, 2018
This was a pretty basic recipe, but easy to make and my husband and I both liked it. I didn't want a part of a bottle of sauce left so I used the whole bottle and added a little more bread. I think it needed that sauce though. I also added at least twice as much cheese. My husband would have definitely said it needed more cheese if I would have put the recipe amount. :)