Meatball Submarine Casserole
We were hosting a bunch of friends, and after a comedy of errors, I had to come up with a new plan for dinner. Turns out that much-loved meatball subs are even better as a hearty casserole—so delicious! —Rick Friedman, Palm Springs, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1-1/2 cups pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat broiler. Microwave meatballs, covered, on high until heated through, 4-6 minutes. Meanwhile, place bread on an ungreased baking sheet; brush one side of bread with oil. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Rub bread with cut surface of garlic; discard garlic. Tear bread into bite-sized pieces; transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Add pasta sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to meatballs; toss to combine. Pour mixture over bread pieces; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, until cheeses are melted, 15-18 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 417 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 1243mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Meatball Submarine Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.