Ham Loaf with Mustard Sauce
Brown sugar, mustard, herbs and spices season this hearty ham loaf. I like to make several loaves to serve to our retirement club. To speed things up, I use my food processor's chopper blade to grind the meat.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
Makes2 ham loaves (6-8 servings each)
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 pounds ground fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, milk and eggs. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cloves and mustard. Spread in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Press meat mixture on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto serving platters.
- For sauce, combine egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, sugar, water and salt in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and horseradish. Cool. Fold in cream. Serve with ham loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 478 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 170mg cholesterol, 1312mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Ham Loaf with Mustard Sauce in Country Woman March/April 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.