String Cheese Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min. + standing
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 3 pieces string cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, egg, bread crumbs, garlic and rosemary. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.
- Press half into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Place two pieces of cheese, side by side, near one end of loaf. Cut the remaining piece of cheese in half; place side by side on opposite end of loaf. Top with remaining meat mixture; press down firmly to seal.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Drizzle with the remaining spaghetti sauce; bake 10 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 391 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 911mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Mar 4, 2016
The taste of the meat loaf was good. Using string cheese inside is a big mistake. It doesn't melt and consequently it ends up in big pieces that are way too chewy. Don't think I will make it again.
Feb 9, 2016
Good, hearty meatloaf--I was feeding a crowd, I doubled the recipe and baked the loaf in a 9x13 pan. I also used my own home-canned spaghetti sauce.
Feb 2, 2016
Both me and my Mom made this recipe over the past week. Mom did it using regular string cheese and I did it using sharp cheddar sticks. While I love the flavor of the meatloaf, the regular string cheese stayed in a hard stick (didn't melt at all) and the cheddar sticks melted away into the meatloaf. Any suggestions from others that made this? Certain brands of cheese work better?
Jan 25, 2016
I've never been successful at making meat loaf. This recipe is my salvation. Delicious! The kid's were asking for seconds.
Jan 25, 2016
Too bad we don't have access to REAL sourdough in the Midwest (except by mail order), but the recipe looks yummy and I'm anxious to try it.
Sep 23, 2015
Everyone loved it! It came out so moist. Plus, it was very easy. I am keeping this recipe.
Feb 7, 2013
I loved this recipe when I saw it in the original magazine issue. This is how I've made my meatloaf ever since.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.