Traditional Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 3 slices bread
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. Tear bread into 2-inch pieces; place in a blender. Cover and pulse to form coarse crumbs; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in egg, milk, cheese, onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; spread over loaf. Bake 60-75 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Bake meat loaf without glaze. Securely wrap cooled meat loaf in foil, then freeze. To use, partially thaw meat loaf in refrigerator overnight. Prepare and spread glaze over top; reheat on a greased shallow baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 394 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Jun 4, 2019
This is meatloaf as it should be done. I always add a tbl of mustard seeds. It does make a difference.
Feb 26, 2019
Our families traditional meatloaf; it came from my mother, the best!!!!!
Feb 19, 2019
Feb 19, 2019
Very good recipe. Similar to what I've made for years. The only change I suggest is baking any meat loaf is not to use loaf pans. Shape them on a baking pan so they brown around the sides instead of steam in drippings. Much better flavor IMO.
Dec 31, 2018
I love this recipe so much I crave it! My husband and son also love it! Going to make right now!
Jun 19, 2018
This was a little runny to put into the pan. I would add a few more crackers so the meat had some consistency. The flavor is very good. Glaze is a little sweet. I will make it again.
Apr 12, 2018
Made this and turned out vary delecious.
Jan 22, 2018
Best meatloaf ever! My son and I agree.
Jan 15, 2018
Very good! My husband loved it.
Jan 8, 2018
Good recipe! The meatloaf was full of flavor. My family loved it. I used plain Panko bread crumbs though! So good. WIll be making this again