Traditional Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 3 slices bread
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°. Tear bread into 2-inch pieces; place in a blender. Cover and pulse to form coarse crumbs; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in egg, milk, cheese, onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; spread over loaf. Bake 60-75 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Bake meat loaf without glaze. Securely wrap cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, partially thaw meat loaf in refrigerator overnight. Prepare and spread glaze over top; reheat on a greased shallow baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 394 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 4, 2019
This is meatloaf as it should be done. I always add a tbl of mustard seeds. It does make a difference.
Feb 26, 2019
Our families traditional meatloaf; it came from my mother, the best!!!!!
Feb 19, 2019
Feb 19, 2019
Very good recipe. Similar to what I've made for years. The only change I suggest is baking any meat loaf is not to use loaf pans. Shape them on a baking pan so they brown around the sides instead of steam in drippings. Much better flavor IMO.
Dec 31, 2018
I love this recipe so much I crave it! My husband and son also love it! Going to make right now!
Jun 19, 2018
This was a little runny to put into the pan. I would add a few more crackers so the meat had some consistency. The flavor is very good. Glaze is a little sweet. I will make it again.
Apr 12, 2018
Made this and turned out vary delecious.
Jan 22, 2018
Best meatloaf ever! My son and I agree.
Jan 15, 2018
Very good! My husband loved it.
Jan 8, 2018
Good recipe! The meatloaf was full of flavor. My family loved it. I used plain Panko bread crumbs though! So good. WIll be making this again