Italian Chocolate Spice Cookies
I recently found this old family recipe in my mom’s kitchen. I made a few adjustments to streamline the process, and the cookies turned out wonderfully. —Shawn Barto, Winter Garden, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a large bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, corn syrup and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Dip tops of cookies into glaze; if desired, decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set. Store between pieces of waxed paper in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 99 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Italian chocolate spice cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.