Italian Chocolate Spice Cookies
I recently found this old family recipe in my mom’s kitchen. I made a few adjustments to streamline the process, and the cookies turned out wonderfully. —Shawn Barto, Winter Garden, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a large bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, corn syrup and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Dip tops of cookies into glaze; if desired, decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set. Store between pieces of waxed paper in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 99 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Italian chocolate spice cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019