Italian Lemon Cookies
Christmas wouldn't be the same without my grandmother's cookies. A plate full of these light and zesty cookies is divine!—Elisabeth Miller, Broadview Heights, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and lemon peel. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to shape.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape level tablespoons of dough into 6-in. ropes. Shape each rope into an “S”, then coil each end until it touches the center. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Whisk egg whites; brush over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as "S" Cookies in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.