Italian Lemon Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and lemon zest. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to shape.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape level tablespoons of dough into 6-in. ropes. Shape each rope into an “S”, then coil each end until it touches the center. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Whisk egg whites; brush over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake until bottoms are brown, 12-14 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 19, 2019
Am very pleased with this recipe the whole family enjoyed them. Making the S-shape was really easy, will be making these cookies all the time now.
Dec 13, 2018
Very disappointed! Pulled up Italian cookies to make for the first time! And saw this recipe, looked good. Bought all the ingredients and it was a failure! I then added more flour thinking it was that and nope! Ok, now I have to find another recipe to make. Won’t share this site!