Italian Cenci Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar and salt until frothy. Stir in vanilla. Sift flour with baking powder; gradually add to batter. Add butter and mix well. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half; roll each half as thin as possible (noodle thickness). Cut into 5-in. x 1-in. strips with a knife or scalloped pastry wheel.
- Preheat oil to 375°; fry cookies until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cookies are best served the same day.
Oct 24, 2017
can u make the dough and then put it in refrigerator to fry later in the day? please answer ASAP
Dec 22, 2014
So many memories. I do have a suggestion. Because the pasta machine was out already, my mom would send the dough through to the last setting and then roll by hand if needed.
Dec 4, 2014
I'm Italian and always make these at x-mass time! Thay melt in your mouth! A favorite at my house.
Apr 13, 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.