Italian Rainbow Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + chilling
Makesabout 11 dozen
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 ounces almond paste, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar 2-3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add almond paste; mix well. Gradually add flour, butter, salt and extract.
- Divide batter into thirds. Tint one portion red and one portion green; leave remaining portion plain. Spread one portion into each of three well-greased 11x7-in. baking dishes.
- Bake 7-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges begins to brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place red layer on waxed paper; spread with 2 tablespoons jam. Top with plain layer and remaining jam. Add green layer; press down gently.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set. Turn over; spread remaining glaze over red layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set.
- With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 35 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 21mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Feb 5, 2018
Is this more of a cake texture or cookie texture. It just appears to look more like cake.
Feb 3, 2018
Knuj003, I feel like 11" x 7" is the correct size. I have one pan that size. The cookies are slice quite thin.
Feb 3, 2018
It calls for an 11x7 pan. Is that the correct size or should it be 11 x 17? Thanks!
Feb 3, 2018
Has anyone made these with gluten free flour?
Mar 20, 2017
Got a lot of compliments on this one due to taste and attractiveness. Cutting through the chocolate topping is best done with a hot, serrated knife.
Dec 16, 2013
Made for the first time today, they are cooling and will freeze when done. They look great!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.