Italian Rainbow Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + chilling
Makesabout 11 dozen
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 ounces almond paste, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar 2-3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add almond paste; mix well. Gradually add flour, butter, salt and extract.
- Divide batter into thirds. Tint one portion red and one portion green; leave remaining portion plain. Spread one portion into each of three well-greased 11x7-in. baking dishes.
- Bake 7-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges begins to brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place red layer on waxed paper; spread with 2 tablespoons jam. Top with plain layer and remaining jam. Add green layer; press down gently.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set. Turn over; spread remaining glaze over red layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set.
- With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 35 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 21mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Dec 13, 2018
My mom always made these, but never had a written recipe. I was so happy to find this! So moist and flavorful, the almond, raspberry, and chocolate flavors take me back to childhood.
Feb 5, 2018
Is this more of a cake texture or cookie texture. It just appears to look more like cake.
Feb 3, 2018
Knuj003, I feel like 11" x 7" is the correct size. I have one pan that size. The cookies are slice quite thin.
Feb 3, 2018
It calls for an 11x7 pan. Is that the correct size or should it be 11 x 17? Thanks!
Feb 3, 2018
Has anyone made these with gluten free flour?
Mar 20, 2017
Got a lot of compliments on this one due to taste and attractiveness. Cutting through the chocolate topping is best done with a hot, serrated knife.
Dec 16, 2013
Made for the first time today, they are cooling and will freeze when done. They look great!