Passover Rainbow Cookies
Rainbow cookies are actually a bit of a misnomer for these classic New York treats. To make these layered cookies, you need to bake three identical cakes, spread jam inside and top them with melted chocolate. —Shannon Sarna, South Orange, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + chilling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces almond paste, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup stick margarine
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup matzo cake meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Dash salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line bottoms of 3 greased 8-in. square baking pans with parchment; grease paper. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored, 2-3 minutes. Gradually add almond paste; mix well. Gradually add margarine, almond flour, cake meal, salt and vanilla.
- Divide batter into thirds. Tint 1 portion red and 1 portion green; leave remaining portion plain. Spread each portion into prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges begins to brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before gently removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place red layer on waxed paper; spread with 2 tablespoons jam. Top with plain layer and remaining jam. Add green layer; press down gently.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips, shortening and salt; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set. Turn over onto another piece of waxed paper; spread remaining glaze over red layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set.
- With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut into fourths. Cut each portion into 1-in. slices.
Test Kitchen tips