Snow Angel Cookies
Get a little snow at the holidays, no matter where you are. Head to the kitchen and bake a batch of angel cookies swirled with heavenly frosting. —Carolyn Moseley, Dayton, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- Coarse sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. angel-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, shortening, lemon juice and enough water to reach a spreading consistency. Spread or pipe over cookies; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie (calculated without coarse sugar): 162 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Cutout Christmas Cookies in Taste of Home November 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.