Snow Angel Cookies
Get a little snow at the holidays, no matter where you are. Head to the kitchen and bake a batch of angel cookies swirled with heavenly frosting. —Carolyn Moseley, Dayton, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- Coarse sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. angel-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, shortening, lemon juice and enough water to reach a spreading consistency. Spread or pipe over cookies; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie (calculated without coarse sugar): 162 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cutout Christmas Cookies in Taste of Home November 2014