Snow Globe Keepsake Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch. + cooling
- 2 ounces almond paste
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounces clear isomalt nibs
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/4 cup water plus 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Assorted sprinkles
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade attachment, add almond paste and 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar; pulse until almond paste and sugar are well mixed and texture resembles finely ground cornmeal. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add almond paste mixture and beat until fully incorporated. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out snow globe shape with floured 4x3-1/2 inch cookie cutter; cut out centers with a floured 2-3/4-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° until firm, about 9-10 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, place isomalt in a microwave safe bowl; microwave at 20-second intervals until melted and bubbly. Place cooled cookies face-down on silpat mat; pour a thin layer of isomalt into the center cut-out portion of cookies, tilting pan to distribute evenly; reheat isomalt as needed. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- For icing, in a small bowl, beat meringue powder and water until soft peaks form. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar; tint with food coloring if desired. Decorate cookies with icing as desired; let dry completely. Place one cookie face down on parchment-lined baking sheet; pour desired assortment of sprinkles into center of cookie over hardened isomalt; pipe frosting around center and edges of cookie. Place second cookie on top to form sandwich and seal sprinkles inside; let frosting dry completely. If desired, pipe decorative border of frosting between edges of cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 499 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (72g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 27, 2018
I bought my Isomelt from Amazon.com because I am a Prime member and had free shipping. I bought CO Products Isomelt crystals, 1 pound for $11.82. For Christmas, I crocheted a cup cozy and added a coffee gift card and one of these cookies.
Dec 22, 2018
What is isomalt nibs and where do you buy it?
Dec 15, 2018
Where do you find the isomalt???