Mexican Chocolate Walnut-Cherry Biscotti
I love to combine flavors and spices from different cultures. These cookies have ground cinnamon in them, which is a classic flavor in Mexican chocolate. They are very crunchy and are loaded with maraschino cherries and toasted walnuts. —Nancy C. Evans, Phoenix, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 large eggs, room temperature, divided use
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- Preheat oven to 325°. Whisk the first 6 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk 5 eggs and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in walnuts, chocolate chips and cherries. Transfer to a lightly floured surface; knead gently until dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Using floured hands, divide dough into 3 portions. Shape each portion into an 8x3-in. rectangle on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Beat remaining egg; brush over tops. Bake until firm to the touch, 30-35 minutes. Cool on pans on wire racks until firm, 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 300°. Transfer baked rectangles to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 3/4-in. slices. Place on baking sheets, cut side down. Bake until crisp, 10-12 minutes on each side. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 208 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.